Bilberry, also referred to as Vaccinium Myrtillus whose origin is Scandinavian was discovered as early as 1577. They are low shrubs that bear edible dark blue berries. Bilberries are native to Europe.
They grow globally in areas such as Ireland, Iceland, and Sweden.
They are also commonly referred to as European blueberries since they are almost similar to North American blueberries.
From health benefits such as controlling gingivitis and possible treatment of eye fatigue to skin benefits, bilberry extract has been known to offer amazing benefits.
Benefits for your skin
- Bilberries have vitamin B, C, E and also contain resveratrol and quercetin, which all help to improve any visible signs of aging. According to research done, quercetin has antioxidant properties that influence cellular lifespan.
- Bilberries contain Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. They help keep your skin hydrated. The fatty acids help create a barrier that allows moisture in and at the same time keeps irritants out. They are great moisturizers when applied appropriately, and they keep your skin smooth.
- Anti-inflammatory effects. Studies have shown that black whortles have anti-inflammatory effects. If your skin is red or swollen, using bilberry extract helps in reducing the swelling. Facial redness is usually dilation of capillaries that are just located beneath the epidermis.
- Naturally, we know that antioxidants help in preventing and curing infections. The good news is that usages of bilberry extract could help in keeping your skin clean with no breakouts. They contain antioxidants such as polyphenolic and anthocyanins which are also known to reduce scars which could make these berries a great option.
- A research was done to establish if bilberries indeed have protective effects on UVA. Therefore, using bilberry extracts will help prevent your skin from sunburns.
Incorporating bilberry in your skincare regimen regularly will see you improve your skin. The trick is discovering what your skin needs and working with it to ensure you get the results you want for your skin.
Products that contain Aloe Vera: